Tuesday, March 10, 2015

CULTURAL DIVERSITY IN SCHOOL


Cultural Diversity is an interesting topic not only because it possesses many challenges but because it possesses many enhancements to students development and assimilation into the growing cross cultural world. Students now more than ever will need to learn how to interact in a diverse environment. I was always surrounded by diversity, I went to a school in a neighborhood that had a population reflective of its diversity. Many students that attended my elementary school were from various ethnic group, I can go as far as saying none of us really seen color or differences in culture has an issue in our school population, truly! My best friend was Chinese. Going to his house every day and being around his family taught me many things about his culture and he also learned a lot from mine as well. Even in my high school diversity was rampant. A lot of students in stfx where not has exposed to diversity has I was which creates lots of problems when diversity is introduced. The lack of understanding culture or being able to relate to someone different from you leads to social problems. I've met several student who haven’t even talked to a person of a different ethnicity will they came here. Of course it’s not their fault do to geographical location. They always seem to ask me what I would consider stupid questions due to the lack of previous experience with people of diverse backgrounds or religions. It’s important to acknowledge how important cultural diversity is, it enhances the school experience and understanding of the perspectives of children from different backgrounds and helps to aid in functioning in a multicultural, multiethnic environment. 

No comments:

Post a Comment