People
differ in their personalities, attitudes, and values, and an understanding of
our individual personality is profoundly important in many cultural
atmospheres. How you are perceived and how you want to be perceived differs
cross culturally in terms of fitting in. Many people including me have told a
lie, acted a certain way or conformed to a group in order to fit in. The key
word here is conform, there are several motivations to conform that drive
individuals socially and culturally. Growing up I understood conformity; well
at least I thought I did. The way I dressed, the shoes I wore and the way I
talked was influenced by my cultural surroundings and my struggle to fit in. In
the community I lived in growing up majority of my friends where of Jamaican
decent and they spoke a dialect that was prominent and popular in our area. I
would often speak the same as them in order to conform and not stick out. Time
passed but I would still be concerned with conforming. In high school Jordan
sneakers were very popular, of course with any popular fashion trend these
shoes were highly overpriced but I had to have them. I would save my paycheques
and every bit of money I could get in order to buy these shoes just because
they were cool and everyone had them. With the use of cultural psychology I
know now that a key goal in independent cultural contexts is to achieve
belongingness with others, which makes perfect sense when I think about the
issue of conformity.

No comments:
Post a Comment